RUEFLI FAMILY

It was late in the 19th Century, when Federico Ruefli, a brilliant businessman from Grenchen, Switzerland, established Ruefli Federico Spa in Como, Italy, and "Fabrique de Boites des Montres SA" in Chiasso, Switzerland.
The two factories, situated very close to the border between Italy and Switzerland, were to collaborate in the production of brass and stainless steel watch components for the Swiss and the Italian market.
In 1922, the four daughters of Federico joined him in Como, Italy, when he moved the factory in via Stelvio, right on top of a coach depot.
At the beginning of the 30's, he decided to relocate again, in Monte Olimpino, given the need for more space and workers to follow the increased workload.
Meanwhile, his younger brother: uncle Ernest, was recruited to manage the Swiss factory, which acquired its final name - "FCO" or "Fabbrica Casse Orologi".
With the object of combining the skilful Swiss workmanship with the creative Italian labour force, the two factories rapidly expanded to reach a total workforce of more than 300 people.
In 1940, Federico passed away, and the factories were managed jointly by his sons-in-law: Hans Mathis and Ferdinand Rieter. The work continued slowly during the Second World War. In 1945 Ferdinand died and Hans continued alone.
In 1966, Clara Rieter Andreatta, grand-daughter of Federico, joined the company followed by her cousin Bruno Mathis, and in 1970, by her husband and Nicola's father - Alberto Andreatta.
At the same time, Giorgio Mathis, elder brother of Bruno, was appointed as director of FCO.
Under the skilled direction of Giorgio, Bruno and Alberto, the factories specialized not only in producing high quality components for the watch industry, but, thanks to the creative impulse given by Alberto, started to design and customize watches for their clients.
The growing competition with the less expensive Asian products forced the family to shut industrial production during the 90's for a radical downsizing. The family then opened Timeo SA, a smaller “Atelier”, where they continued producing and designing OEM products for the top brands in Switzerland.
In 2002 Nicola Andreatta joined Timeo, which became N.W.C., New Watch Corporation, the home of N.O.A. watches.